Sunday, August 31, 2014

Rosemary Pork Kebabs

Summer is now almost at it's close, but we still have warm days which makes grilling worth the effort for the flavor that it imparts.  Grilling is a sign of summer to me, but fortunately we do get out the grill from time to time throughout the year.  The grilled item I like most is grilled veggies, but what is better than marinated meat to give it some variety.  Particularly, I love grilled Roma tomatoes, though I have been known to grill any sort that is still firm enough to last through a grilling.  This recipe is based off one in Bought, Borrowed and Stolen by McEvedy.  The pork in this recipe soaks up the rosemary flavor in which it is marinated.  My rosemary sticks were not thick enough to actually grill the meat on, but I have seen a number of people to use that technique this summer.  If you want your veggies to have a little more flavor you can brush them with Italian dressing or I usually use olive oil and whatever spices I am in the mood for at the time.  Enjoy the last days of grilling.

Rosemary Pork Kebabs with vegetables
3 stems of rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
pork tenderloin (about 12-14 oz.), trimmed
olive oil
5-6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
sourdough or ciabatta bread (I used slightly stale homemade sourdough bread)
salt and pepper
other veggies to add to your skewers (onions, zucchini, bell peppers, potatoes, mushrooms)

Cut the tenderloin into cubes about an inch by an inch and marinate in half the chopped rosemary and half the cloves of chopped garlic in olive oil for at least an hour....but longer is better.  (I usually pour a few tablespoon of olive oil in the bottom of the dish I am going to use.  Then I add the rosemary and garlic and mix.  Next take the meat and put in the olive oil mixture.  If it need more olive oil so all the meat can be coated, then add more.  Cover and marinate.)

Preheat your grill.  Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan.  Cut the sourdough into 1 inch cubes.  Fry the rest of the garlic and rosemary leaves in oil and then dip pieces of bread into the olive oil.  Season with salt.  (Season the meat with salt too.)  Once he bread is lightly fried, remove from heat and put together the skewers to grill.  Grill until the pork reaches 145 F.  Remove and serve with lemon or/and a side salad.


No comments: