Sunday, September 7, 2014

Pork and Tofu Stir Fry

I have made a number of recipes from the book Keepers by Kathy Brennan and Caroline Campion.  It is a great book for those of you who like to cook during the week, but don't want to spend a lot of time doing it.  I wanted to add to the rotation some interesting, quick recipes that came together quickly so I wouldn't be spending my whole evening cooking and then cleaning.  This is an interesting recipe because the pork and tofu are basically the whole meal.  For me next time I would add at least one vegetable.  If I am taking out my wok to make this I might as well make it a bit healthier, so that I don't have to make an additional side dish that matches with these flavors.  That being said, it is also different because it uses a ground pork instead of a marinated steak sort of meat.  I liked the difference, but will have to make it a couple more times before I am assured of the balance of flavors.  Also, watch the salt in this recipe as I found it became salty quickly.


Ground Pork with Tofu
3 tablespoons dry white wine
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 pound ground pork
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoon safflower oil
1 1/2 inches of ginger, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon hot bean sauce
1 -2 pinches crushed red peppers
1/2 chicken stock
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 package silken tofu, cut into cubes
salt

Serve with rice, pepper and scallions



In a small bowl, mix together the wine and half (1 tablespoon) cornstarch.  Add the pork and mix together.  Marinate for about 5 minutes.  In another small bowl, mix together the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch and water.  Heat your wok over high heat (or high heat setting) and the add the safflower oil.  When it reaches the smoking point add the pork, cook until no longer pink.  Add the ginger, garlic and red pepper, stirring constantly for about 15 seconds.  Add the stock and soy sauce and bring to a simmer.  Add the tofu and bring back to a simmer.  Cook until the tofu is hot, about 1-2 minutes.  Check your seasoning as adjust as necessary.  Clear the bottom of the wok and add the cornstarch and water mixture.  Mix everything together and simmer until thickened (about a minute).  Serve over steamed rice with additional red pepper if desired.

Serves about 4

No comments: