Saturday, November 8, 2014

Homemade basil pesto

Basil Pesto

If you have never tried to make your own pesto, you are missing out.  I highly recommend giving it a try as it is easy to do and doesn't take any time either.  Plus, you can use a variety of different herbs to change up the flavor and it makes a lot more than you can buy in the store.  The first pesto I made was one from Italian Immigrant Cooking by Elodia Rigante.  Once I realized how easy it was to make though, I now put in basically whatever I am feeling that day or what I have on hand.

Basil Pesto
1/2 cup basil (or whatever herb mixture you want to try)
3 tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)
2-4 tablespoons Parmesan or Romano cheese, finely shredded
6 cloves garlic, peeled
3/4 cup olive oil (more if you like it thinner)
1 tablespoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine all the ingredient in a blender until smooth.  Serve over pasta or gnocchi of choice.  Or you can try my ricotta gnocchi.  You can easily double this recipe.


No comments: