Monday, November 17, 2014

Raspberry Ribbon Danish Cookies

I love baking Christmas cookies, and we are fast approaching the time which will put my weekends into baking mode.  I am also planning on having a Christmas brunch this year.  Because my theme is Scandinavian, I have been testing out some recipe which I will serve for that brunch.  This is one that was on the list.  The benefits are that a lot of cookies can be made at one time and that they are bite sized, so you can't feel guilty about eating one or two....or more.  They also can be made ahead of time while I am preparing more time needed items like freshly baked bread.
So here is my first new cookie experiment for a lightly sweet touch for brunch.  They gave together very quickly and they were easy to incorporate into my other cooking during the cold weekend.  And as an extra bonus, I got to turn my oven on and make the house smell delicious!


Butter Cookie Dough:
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2  2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

Additional ingredients:
Jam (I used a blueberry raspberry mixture.)
1/4 - 1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cream

Cream the butter.  Then add the sugar and mix until well combined.  All the egg and mix again.  Finally, add the flour, extract and salt and mix until it comes together into a ball of dough.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  Makes about 3 cups cookie dough.


Preheat oven to 375F.  Roll out the butter cookie dough into about an half inch roll.  Place on an un-greased cookie sheet and press down the middle forming a u-shaped log.  Bake for about 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and repress the indentation.  Fill with jam.  Return to the oven and bake for about another 5 minutes or until slightly brown.  Remove from oven and cool.  Once cool enough to touch, mix up the powdered sugar and cream and pipe a line across the cookie.   Cut into 1 inch pieces on the diagonal.




No comments: