Thursday, November 13, 2014

Shredded Salad with savory cabbage

The first cooking blog that I started reading was 101cookbooks.  I still get the email stating when new posts are there and I love the ideas that Heidi uses to create her recipes.  It was partly due to her website that I decided to start my blog.  This is recipe based on one that was on her blog not long ago.  Since the time change and the cooler days, I have been craving more greens.  I tend not to be very good with eating sufficient greens during the winter, so I always appreciate it when I come across a recipe which I want to make at home.  For some reason in winter, I am more willing for someone else to make it for me.  This salad is quite diverse and you can switch up the ingredient depending on what you have on hand or what you are craving.  I have made it twice already and varied it both times and it still came out excellent.  Give it a try...you'll like it!


Shredded Salad
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
2 tablespoon honey
sea salt
a small bunch of cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup roasted and salted peanuts
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
2 1/2 cups shredded savory cabbage (or any kind of cabbage you like)
2/3 cup herbs, chopped (I used basil on time and parsley another time)
2-3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2-3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (though I think pumpkin seeds would be good too)

In a medium bowl, stir together olive oil, sesame oil, 1 tablespoon honey, and a pinch or two of sea salt.  Add the cilantro, peanuts and scallions.  Mix to combine.

In a large bowl stir together shredded cabbage, herbs, and celery.  In a small bowl combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and 1 tablespoon honey.  Stir to combine.  Pour over the cabbage mixture and stir to coat.  Add half of the cilantro mixture and toss to distribute throughout.  Place the remaining half on top of the salad.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.




No comments: