Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Aebleskivers (round Danish pancakes)

I have a serious love of breakfast.  I like savory eggs and bacon, egg in a hole, savory french toast.  But I love a good sweet breakfast too.  Just a slightly sweetened pancake batter with blueberries, pancakes with quinoa, waffles that I can tear apart with my hands to dip into real maple syrup.  The list goes on...so being that it is one of my favorite meals, I have a lot of specialized equipment which I don't use too much for regular cooking.  I have a Belgium liege waffle iron, a regular waffle iron, a juicer so I can have fresh squeezed orange juice with all the delicious things I make.  So this year, with my Scandinavian brunch in mind, I purchased a Danish Aebleskiver pan.  To great thing about these are that they are small and bit sized, but have many variations as you can stuff them with a teaspoon of jam or make them savory with cheese and scallions.  Here is the basic recipe which came from Nordicware's Breakfast cookbook which is sent with the pan.  I haven't have much time to try many variations, but I dream about the different ways they can be made and I long to crave another sweet day to knock out more....I think peanut butter and chocolate chips may be high on the list.
Danish Aebelskivers
Makes 21-35 aebelskivers

3 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups buttermilk

Butter for greasing the pan


Beat egg yolks with sugar and salt.  In another medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder and baking soda.  Add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.  In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Fold the egg whites into the batter gently.  Heat the aebleskiver pan over medium heat.  Brush a little butter into each well and add about a tablespoon (or until about 2/3 full).  Cook for about 3-4 minutes.  Turn with a chopstick and cook for another 2-3 minutes.  Remove when browned on both sides.  Place in a dish in a low heat oven to remain warm until serving.  Serve with jam, syrup or your favorite topping.



No comments: