Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Krumkake (crumb cake)

My grandma on my dad's side was 100% Swedish.  It was because of her cooking traditional Swedish goods for Christmas which inspired my Scandinavian brunch this year.  So when having brunch there must be a couple of sweets.  While these are not very filling, nor too sweet, they are a part of my Scandinavian Christmas memories.  Each year my grandma would make tons of these to give to us to share for Christmas.  The good part is that it make a lot!  I think there were 4-5 dozen for this recipe.  They also cook up really quick so in an afternoon you can make a batch which will last a while.  So if you want to add a little Scandinavia to your Christmas, I think this is a delightful way to do it.  The irons have traditional designs on them which add to the atmosphere of Christmas.  Enjoy!

This recipe came from The Great Scandinavian Baking Book by Beatrice Ojakangas, a Minnesotan cookbook author.  While there are not many photos which many people always desire, I have never had a problem following her directions.  Everything I have made has come out beautifully.  If you are going to attempt Scandinavian cooking, I recommend having a look at her books.

Krumkake
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
water to thin if needed


In a medium sized bowl, cream sugar and butter.  Beat in the eggs until the mixture is light yellow colored.  Beat in milk and flour until smooth.  Let the mixture stand for at least 30 minutes.  Heat krumkake iron.  (I have an electric one from my grandma so it gets hot quick.)  Spray iron with nonstick cooking spray.  Add about 1 tablespoon batter to each side of the iron and close.  Cook for about 30 seconds.  Roll off of iron with a wooden stick.  (My iron came with two cone shaped wood sticks to make the cone shaped krumkake in the photos.)  If they are too dark cook for 5 seconds less each time.  In a very hot iron, mine cooked for just 20 seconds.


No comments: