Friday, January 9, 2015

Swedish Meatballs

If there was one thing I can associate with growing up eating Swedish food, it has to be Swedish meatballs.  My grandma used to make them frequently.  After she no longer made them, my mom started making them.  She even has made them several times when she came to visit...with extras so I could freeze them for later.  So with being spoiled that so many people made them, I had never made them before the Scandinavian brunch that I had.   I would quite please with the results and resolve to make them more often.

Having enjoyed cooking Scandinavian foods, I am going to try and cook a bunch from one cookbook this year.  This means that I won't have quite the variety as I usually do, but I will still be cooking other things as well.  Last year my goal was to post 52 times throughout the year, but I made.  To revise that goal a bit will be to post regularly instead of sporadically.  So my two goals are to explore one cookbook in depth and to post once a week.

Swedish Meatballs
2 pounds ground pork
1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup instant potato flakes
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 bunch parsley
2 teaspoons onion powder

Mix all the ingredients together until well combined.  Roll into 1.5 inch meatballs.  Seal with water if they are not sticking together very well.  Fry in olive oil or butter or a combination of both.  These reheat well in the oven.

Serve with ligonberries and cream sauce.  Makes about 4 dozen.

No comments: