Sunday, April 26, 2015

Black Beans and Rice

I love beans.  I know I have said this before, but I really don't know where this obsession came from as I don't remember eating them often when I was young.  And, when I was young, we had beans with bacon which were sweet and I never liked them.  Maybe that is why once I discovered them as a savory dish I decided they were wonderful.  They are good for you.  They are filling and an alternate to eating so much meat, but they also accompany meat dishes.  My favorite hands down are black beans, but white beans hold a close second.  This is a dish I found years ago from somewhere on the internet and have adapted it to make it according to my tastes.  It is a great side dish when served with white rice (or brown rice depending on my patience and mood), but I also eat black beans and rice for lunch just as it is.

Black Beans and Rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onions (I usually use yellow or white)
1 red pepper, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 - 15 oz. can black beans with jalapenos (you can use regular if you wish, but I like the spice and flavor which the black beans get from the jalapenos)
1 teaspoon oregano
3/4 cup water
1 package goya seasoning (if you can't find this use 1/4 teaspoon dried coriander, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin)
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 cups cooked rice  (1 cup uncooked rice.)

Before you begin the beans, rinse 1 cup of uncooked rice.  Put the rice on to cook and it should be ready at about the time the black beans are ready.

In a medium pot, pour in the olive oil.  Saute the chopped onions and red pepper in the olive oil until just beginning to brown.  Add the garlic and let cook for another couple of minutes.  When it is tender, stir in remaining ingredients. (If you are using the beans with jalapenos, you can dice up some of the jalapenos to add a little spice.  I usually add 2-3, but not all of them.) Simmer for at least 10 more minutes.

Serve over white rice.

No comments: