Saturday, April 11, 2015

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

This winter I was in the mood for soup, so I tried a few different versions of new soups.  The one I liked best and thought was also very hearty was a mushroom soup.  Then, yesterday, I was talking to a friend of mine who asked if I had ever made Hungarian Mushroom soup.  I did some research and found that I had a recipe for it, but had never made it.  In being me, I have adapted it to my tastes.  And, in case you didn't know, paprika comes from Hungary.  I was accustomed to the sweet paprika which added flavor, but no spice to recipes.  When looking in a spice shop (my favorite is Penzey's), I discovered they have spicy paprika.  I love it!  Adds the depth of regular paprika with additional spice.  With the addition of spicy paprika it added a little bite to the soup, but still retained the traditional flavor.  There are variations around the internet of this Hungarian Mushroom Soup, but this is a version after the Moosewood cookbook's version.

Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Serves: 4 starter portions

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz. cremini mushrooms (chopped, but not finely)
2 tablespoons half-sharp paprika (or half sweet and half sharp if you don;t like as much spice)
2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
3 tablespoon unsalted butter
2-3 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
2 cups vegetable or beef broth
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
Garnish (if desired): extra dill, fresh parsley, dollop of sour cream

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a frying pan.  Saute the onions just until starting to brown.  Add the garlic, saute for another minute.  Add the mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes until the mushroom have release their juices.  Continue over a lower heat for another 5-10 minutes.  Add the lemon juice.  Remove from heat and set aside.

In a Dutch oven over medium, add the 3 tablespoon butter.  Once melted add the flour and whisk for several minutes until the flour/butter mixture turn a caramel brown color.  Add the milk, broth, soy sauce and continue whisking until the mixture is smooth.  Whisk in the paprika, dill, salt and black pepper.  Add the mushroom mixture.  Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer for about 10 minutes.  Stir often.  Turn off heat and let cool for a couple of minute.  Add the sour cream and stir in gently (if you would like more heat you can turn it on low, but do not boil or the sour cream with curdle).   Serve hot with parsley, dill and/or a dollop of sour cream.  Very good with crusty bread.

No comments: